Thursday, May 21, 2009

Go LOCAL!

Just wanted to take a few minutes to blog about my fantastic experience at Silver Lake Foods, a locally owned and operated grocery store here in Rochester, right on North Broadway at the Silver Lake Shopping Center. I'm going over to Matt's house tonight for his post-grad party, and had to pick up some hot dog buns for the event. I was contemplating where to go, either Silver Lake Foods, because it's right by work, or Wal-Mart, because it was mostly on the way to Matt's house after work. I ended up choosing Silver Lake because I had just enough time before I needed to be at work, and because of the size difference of the stores, when considering the one item I needed.

Here is my experience: I walked in the door, and less than five seconds after entering the store, I was greeted with a friendly smile by an employee who asked me how I was doing, and if he could help me. I told him I was doing pretty good, and that I was looking for hot dog buns. He smiled and said "sure!" and immediately left his job of stocking shelves to personally guide me back to the baked goods section, where he handed me a package of fresh baked hot dog buns that were delivered from the Gingerbread House that same day. I thanked him and walked up to check out. I found a totally empty aisle, and was checked out in moments. The clerk, who had returend to stocking his shelf, waved at me again as I was leaving, and I again thanked him for his friendly assistance. It was a fantastic experience, and as I drove to work, I reflected on how, in no possible way, would I have received the same quality or speed of treatment, had I gone to Wal Mart.

BUY LOCAL!

No comments: