Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Currently Reading

Thanks to my friend Levi Avery for a short blog post inspiring me to (attempt to) jump back on board the blogger bus in 2015. Blogging more was one of my goals that I laid out for myself towards the end of 2014, so now that we're 2/3 of the way through January, I suppose it's time to get started.

Still need to do a bit of focused thinking on format, subject matter and length of posts that I'll utilize, but for today I'll take a cue from Levi and share what I'm currently reading.

(All photos in this post supplied by Google Images). I got Every Good Endeavor for my birthday last June, but being as I was pretty focused on my grad school program at the time, I didn't even think about starting it. December brought graduation, and January brought a promotion, so I figured the new year was a great time to jump in. Very good book so far. This is my first Keller read, and now I understand why so many Christians are so enthused about his work. It's accessible, relevant and very thoughtful work. Well recommended.

I'm also wading through:
This one I picked up at the now-closed Barnes and Noble in downtown Rochester last fall. It just kinda caught my eye from the shelf, and I had a gift card worth roughly the purchase price, so that worked out well. It's my first Caro read, and wow, it is dense and incredibly thorough. One of the things I enjoy most about historical biographies is how much perspective it gives on current events. Robert Moses was New York City's master planner for a good chunk of 40 years, and had a tremendous impact on the way it looks and lives today. At 1,160 pages, the book will consume most of the calendar year I suspect, but so far it's been an exceptionally rich biography with pluperfect research. It's even expanding my lexicon, teaching me words like pluperfect.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: